Wednesday, February 12, 2014

First adventures in Pin-Tucking !

Hello there!

I've become a bit obsessed by pin-tucking over the past few weeks.


Years ago we had two lovely red velevet circular pin-tucked cushions that my mother made in a nightclass.
they looked a bit like this fab cushion from Four Square Walls  ...

{Source}

I'd forgotten all about these lovely cushions until recently, when I bought this lovely heavy teal velvet remnant in the local Drapery Shop



I went on a Pinterest hunt for some tutorials (pop over & visit my Perfect Pillows & Cool Cushions board )
I love the look of the circular cushions but thought it might be a bit difficult for a first pintuck project (I also DREAD the thought of trying to cover a button !)

All of my sewing machines are on the blink and I'm feeling a bit 'Meh!' about my current crochet project so this is the perfect time to attemp a hand sewing adventure. After only 2 rows I was hooked !




Here's where I am so far ...


Its not perfect but its not bad ! & I've really enjoyed sewing away in front of the TV all this week.


The velvet is such a lovely colour. Would you like to see the back too ?


Not unlike crochet its a nice rythmic task (and easy to see when you've made a mistake !
Now all I need to do is get my sewing machine fixed and I can turn this into a fab cushion for my sitting room. I intend to back the cushion in another fabric - I don't have enough of this velvet and I want to make a matching pair. When I make the next cushion I'll create a tutorial too !

Here's another two of my other favourite pin tucking tutorials for the 'to do' list !

Loving these colours from sew-whats-new.com ...
{Source}
 ans this hot pink cushion from sewmamasew.com has to be tackled very soon ....
{Source}

Thanks for visiting & do come back soon !

Love Siubhán x x x


7 comments:

  1. Wow I am so impressed with your pin-tucking it looks amazing. It's not something I've tried and you've definitely got me interested. I hope your sewing machines are back in action soon. I imagine your having serious withdrawals.
    Ali x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww ! Thanks Ali ! (you always say the sweetest things !)
      Hubby reckons he has by sewing machine sorted so I'm going to give it a go this evening after work....fingers crossed !

      S x

      Delete
  2. It looks awesome, is it hard to do? I am looking forward to seeing the finished cushion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lucy,
      Its not really that difficult to do - you just need to draw a grid on the reverse of the material and then sew a selection of the squares from corner to corner diagonally. Hope to have it finished soon (even though I got nothing done all wekend ! I'll write a tutorial with the next one :)

      S

      Delete
  3. The pin tucking looks very good for a new cushion, something I've never tried to do - it looks as if it might be quite fiddly?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a wee bit fiddly but the velvet is VERY heavy material - I think if I'd picked a lighter material it'd have been a lot easier ( but looked a lot different too ) It's not so diddly as to turn me off though, it's really cool to see the pattern emerging on the right side of the fabric !
      S x

      Delete
    2. Diddly ? I blame spell check ! :)

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments and feedback. I love to hear from readers all over the world & will reply via e-mail as soon as I can!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...